Become a first class mentor with the right training
Being a mentor isn’t easy. The wealth of knowledge and information you’ve built up over many years of experience is often tacit, and understanding the complexities of a mentor-mentee relationship can also be difficult.
Our trainers aim to alleviate these difficulties by developing attendees understanding of mentoring in an engaging course suitable for both new and experienced mentors.
Mentor training course overview
Our key objective is to ensure you leave our course with an understanding of the role of the mentor and the necessary skills to be effective.
Our Train the Mentor courses have a structured agenda that is divided into three parts:
- What is mentoring?
- Guiding principles for mentors
- A process to support your journey
Nonetheless, it’s worth noting that all of our mentor training courses can be tailored to suit the specific needs of our clients so feel free to get in touch if you have any questions.
What is mentoring?
The first part of our mentor training focuses on what is distinctive about the role of a mentor in organisations, and addresses the benefits to mentors as well as to mentees. It also demonstrates the ways in which mentoring is quite different from coaching or training relationships. In this part of the course, we cover the following aspects:
- Why might you want to be a mentor? Learn the key benefits for yourself and your mentee.
- Why might someone want a mentor? Understand the key underlying needs or blockages that may cause a colleague to require a mentor.
- How and why do organisations use mentoring? Run-down of the key reasons/motivations that cause organisations to use mentoring.
- How is mentoring different from coaching and training? Learn the distinctive features of a mentoring relationship that make it completely different from coaching and training.
Guiding principles for mentors
The second part of our training will address the fundamental principles that underpin effective mentoring relationships. These will help you to navigate your journey with mentees and to avoid common pitfalls. Learn how to set parameters, and to handle negative /stressful emotions as well as developing powerful communication techniques.
A process to support your journey
Learn the key stages that underpin effective mentoring relationships, and the necessary skills, documentation and planning to ensure they stay on track.
- Stage One: Setting up and Preparing to Mentor. A checklist of necessary activities for the mentor prior to the first meeting.
- Stage Two: The First Session. How to ensure you handle the first session in the best possible manner- establishing exactly the right tone.
- Stage Three: A Positive Second Session: The key features including questioning skills, use of rough agendas and setting a template for future sessions.
- Stage Four: Navigation and Maintaining Progress: How to maintain the tone of your mentoring relationship, conduct informal reviews and ensure that the relationship is staying on track.
- Stage Five: Set-down and Consolidate Learning: The necessary steps to bring the mentoring relationship to a close and to evaluate progress.
- Stage Six: Parting Ways: How to terminate a mentoring relationship in the most effective manner.
We also offer half-day public workshops. Feel free to contact us for dates and availability. These lively and engaging courses are a great way of energising and focusing those wishing to gain the skills required for effective mentoring. Alternatively, if time constraints and logistical reasons prevent you and your team from joining one of our public workshops we have a couple of solutions:
In house training: We will come to your office to provide bespoke in-house training to those who have been designated to take on mentoring roles and/or to set up internal mentoring schemes.
Skype Masterclass: Ideal for one-to-one training, we also provide mentor training via Skype.
To speak to our team about delivering a course, workshop or in-house training for your business, get in contact by completing a form, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that all of our courses are accredited by the CPD (Continuing Professional Development) Standards Office headquartered in the UK. This means that the learning value has been independently scrutinised to ensure quality and integrity, and that we are a CPD points provider. CPD accreditation is compatible with global CPD Standards.